Friday, January 25, 2008

Reading back on what I've written so far, it amazes me at how much these kids have grown in just a couple of short months. Fred barely crawls at all anymore since he started walking (Elijah calls it "the zombie walk" since he holds both hands directly in front of him as he ambles across the room) and he seems to understand the concept of speaking sentences even if the words aren't yet perfectly articulated. Zach can flip himself from back to front and vice versa, becoming a full fledged steam roller. Amelia is on the cusp of taking her first step any day now (last weekend she attempted a step but fell down immediately and started crawling, so I don't think that really counts)... and she has a much toothier grin.














But they're not the only ones who have grown. I myself have learned a much deeper patience than I ever thought possible. In addition, my skills of organization, time management, and prioritizing have increased ten fold. In my previous career within the insurance world, if people told me that they needed something right now, that usually meant within the next couple of hours, whereas in my current job, "right now" actually means you're too late. Without a system in place to accommodate the demand you can count on some serious misery coming your way. I'm not going to lie and say that taking care of three infants is easy but it is definitely not impossible. I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who has infants and small kids in the house full time, however, as it can be a little bit draining even for the most organized and patient person on Earth. The experience has caused me to ponder, what do people do when they have triplets? Well, if I were in their shoes, my advice would be to, first get three separate high chairs (they will get hungry at exactly the same time). The second piece of advice would be to get a support system of family and friends that can help you at the drop of a hat, as you can be certain a situation will eventually come up where you need them. I once saw the famous author, Kurt Vonnegut, give a speech at the University of Florida where he imparted these words of wisdom, "Get a gang".



It was great to see you again, Fred. I'm sure it won't be the last.

Have a freaky Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment