Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Stay of Execution

Only seconds away from turning my laptop PC into Amelia's newest bath toy and buying a Mac, the Governer called and ordered a brief stay of execution. The governer in this story is my friend, Shane, who seems to think that, for one, computers are like little animals that must sometimes be coaxed into good behavior, and two, that Mac computers will remain a bit overpriced until all PC harware can be integrated (sorry Ryan and Jen). My point is, if it can get me from point A to point E without frying its motherboard, it may be worth the extra dough. However, being a loyal citizen of Cyberg I figured I would at least give my laptop a shot at repair before giving it a shot of windex.

After several failed attempts to reload windows from the partition (evidently you need a functioning windows operating system to run the recovery program, which, obviously I did not have. Bill Gates, you so crazy!!) I decided to turn it over to a professional. Shane was able to get windows loaded back onto the machine from a source disk temporarily breathing life back into my hard drive. Even though various drivers seem to keep disappearing on me (definitely a hardware issue), I am able to connect to the internet with a network cable...somewhat taking the point out of owning a laptop, but cest la vie. At least now I can give my shout out to my peeps during laptime as you have grown accustomed to. This one goes out to my boy, Shane dogg. Thanks for your help. Peace in the middle east. 4 real.


4 comments:

  1. I had to lend a hand, as the slippery slope of Scientology starts with a Mac, then it's Kabalah water, followed by a hybrid, and the next thing you know, you're watching Battlefield Earth instead of Star Wars. Gosh, I shiver at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do know that our next vehicle is going to be a hybrid, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! I was so happy to see you had reappeared, kinda like your bro when Watch Me Disappear was reincarnated! Thanks, Shane, for giving it that needed spark of life! We learned a lot about computers this week while installing one for one of our GAL charges. We found that you can plug a cable connection into a wireless router and run the two at the same time. No, I don't know what I am talking about! But after Dad spent 45 minutes on the phone to a help desk we got the system working so that is what counts! What did we do before we had computers to frustrate us? Loved the picture of you and Amelia! Happy in Orlando!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So often, the photographer gets so little credit. Thanks for noticing the nice picture - Nadine

    ReplyDelete