Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Fish Called...

After almost a month trial run to make sure our tank was non-lethal to aquatic creatures, I'm happy to say that all of the fish (even Goldie) are doing just fine. In celebration of the continued consciousness of our proverbial coal mine canaries, the family and I made another trip to our favorite fish vendor to acquire a couple additional components to our own slice of eco-system situated within our dining room.

Our second fish mission to the pet store ended without anybody losing their job, unlike our Father's day mishap, so no news is good news on that front. It was somewhat a challenge, though, finding fish big enough not to be terrorized by the barbs and not too big as to terrorize the barbs, but after a ceaseless search we finally found a fit everyone could live with. We drove home with two additions to the family; a spotted catfish and a plecostomous, known to most as the common suckerfish.

We soon arrived at home and Elijah rushed into the house, followed by a slightly less rushing mom, Amelia and myself.

"What are you going to name your fish?" Mom asked while lifting the small plastic bags out of the large paper bag and setting them into the tank to acclimate.
He replied, "I would like to name the catfish Whiskers and the sucker fish will be named Sucky." with the stoic reverence of one who speaks of their own beloved children.
"Those are fantastic names." I smiled and looked over at him. He was stooping down and peering into the tank with his face up to the glass making sure his new friends were comfortable. It struck me as such a beautiful thing that in his six year old innocence he saw no possible negative connotations with his new fish's name.

It is, after all, the most logical name for a sucker fish.



2 comments:

  1. Those are very noble names for fish. I hope you're in it for the long haul, my mom finally found a new home for my last fish (a catfish as well(, and I'm 31. Viva Whiskers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you did some research to see if all the fish could live together happily ever after! What fun you should have!I think the names are just perfect! What do you do with the little guys when Elijah is in tennis?
    Cute pictures and video. Love to all, Grammie, vacationing in Maine

    ReplyDelete