Friday, August 1, 2008

Freestyle Friday- Installment III

http://stevedaycare.blogspot.com/2008/05/there-lived-young-man-in-small-village.html


http://stevedaycare.blogspot.com/2008/05/short-nap-day.html

As he came too, several things became immediately apparent. The high wattage fluorescent lights appearing overhead as his stinging eyes pealed open left no question he was no longer walking the street. The small group of concerned looking people standing over made clear that he must have passed out, most likely from heat exhaustion. He wore on him three jackets, so he wouldn't have to carry them in a garment bag adding to his already long and heavy aventure. He was completely doused in sweat.
He sat up quickly and felt a jarring pain shoot from his right temple to matching shoulder. "I must have been running when I fell." He wasn't sure if this was said aloud but judging from several nods in the room it was quite likely.
"I don't have much time. I have to find my horse before the races begin!" He was surely speaking aloud now.
"OK. Calm down, we'll find your horse. Everything will be OK, but you really must rest your head. You fell very hard, sir." The man speaking was a rather rotund man with a large red nose that shone like a glass christmas ball. His gaze was piercing and determined like that of all race horse owners.
"My head is of no concern to me right now. Please, just let me get to the stables."
"Sir, the stables are directly behind our trailer. What is your horse's name? We will have someone go check on him for you."
"It doesn't have a name! It's not even a horse yet!!"
The man took a step back and turned his head to the man standing in the doorway.
"Helmut, call the hospital and have them send an ambulance right away. It seems our friend has a nasty concussio-."
"Don't you dare touch that phone, Helmut! I'm just fine! OK...see, I'm lowering my voice right now. See. Calm."
He was tired of attempting to reason with this man. Time was wasting. As he looked around the room he could see obvious American Midwestern decor suggesting these people either came from, or possessed relatives from far away; possibly Ohio. Possibly western expansion beer emmigrants manning the breweries which paved the road to the wild west where much harder things were known to dwell.
"OK. Maybe you could help find a horse for me."
"I will see what I can do."
"Her name is Helen September."
The man suddenly wore an expression of utter bemusement.
"Ahaha..oh, hoho. Oh-"
"Why is that name so funny to you."
"We won't have to go very far to find her. Just stand up and look through that window back there."
Slowly, he rose from the couch and split the blinds with his thumb and forefinger. In front of him was a magnificent sorel mare saddled up and ready to race.
"That is her?" He turned his head to face the pudgy man beside him in soicitous disbelief.
"Yes, boy. She's my horse."

1 comment:

  1. Bringing back Freestyle Friday...reminds me of the "good" days of underwriting. FF dance parties in the aisles...good times!

    ReplyDelete