Friday, August 8, 2008

FSF- I- IV

The pear shaped man continued to chuckle in a way that seemed well beyond his means of control. His hands we're firmly pressed against either side of his belly button and every fifth laugh or so, his hands shifted down to his knees as he held himself from toppling forward.
'This is the laughter of condescension. This man is mocking me.' He thought as he could feel the heat beginning to rise again under his three coats once again. Still, he fully realized the need to be civil. Keeping an emotional levy strong against the blunt force of insulting laughter dropping heavily from the fat man's perch high atop the ladder of privilege was no less than a matter of complete success or failure.
"Listen, I would like to talk about your horse."
"Hahaha. I thought you said she was your horse. Bwahahaha!"
Breathing in ever so deeply to weigh his words and tone, "I believe you've misunderstood me. I'm looking for a broodmare to breed a champion. I'm interested in your horse for that reason."
Still smiling widely but starting to catch his breath, he finally brought his chortle under control.
"What is your name boy?"
"Adolphus"
"I don't mean to be rude, Adolphus, but you must have a very poor knowledge of the horses in this circuit. Helen has tried unsuccessfully six times to birth a colt. Everybody knows about her and doesn't want to waste their time. We have given up on her bloodline. She just will not reproduce."
"I know all about Helen. Her bloodline is immaculate. Her quality is beyond this circuit."
"Thank you. We are very proud of her performance."
"The fact that she cannot breed is the very reason I have sought you out. Berndi Haut, I presume."
Berndi turned his head to face Helmut still standing in the doorway who was now shaking his head to affirm he had also not heard him utter his name in front of the stranger.
When he looked back at Adolphus, his look of merriment had been replaced by one of profound confusion.
"Let me get this straight. You know all about Helen and about me. You are aware of the fact that she cannot breed, so that is the reason for seeking her as a mare stud. Pardon me, but that doesn't exactly fit any standard of logic I'm aware of."
Hulmut let out a small Guffaw from the doorway. As Adolphus glared over at him, he decided it in his best interest to depart. The aluminum door slapped shut behind him.
"Berndi, I am not a rich man."
Berndi smiled smugly, "I would not have guessed that."
Unstirred by the obvious jab at his squalid appearance he continued,"But I must own a racehorse. A winner. It is not even an option for me. My life will be meaningless without realizing this dream."
"But why me, why my horse? There are thousands of winners you could breed from. What makes her so special?"
"I would like to make a proposition for you, Berndi. I have saved 40 thousand Deutsch Marks to buy a horse from you."
Berndi's face lit up again as he burst into laughter. "Son, if she produces a colt, it is likely to be worth 15 times that at least! Why would I give you a colt for such petty pocket change?"
"Because the money is yours regardless of whether the birth is still or live. I give you the money just to have Helen impregnated. You keep it no matter what. It's not like the other six times where you received nothing."
"That would be terribly unethical. No one pays for a dead horse, son. Agreements are made for live births only."
"How long did it take for the horse to miscarry?"
"Two month."
"Easily within the off season for her. 40 thousand for two months is not a bad deal for you any way you cut it. For me, it is my one shot at getting what I want. I will never have this much money to throw at my dream ever again. If your odds are correct, there is almost no chance that the colt will be carryied to term and she would be ready to race in the spring."
"Yes, but ethically? No one would buy another horse from me if they knew I operated in a manner as you propose."
"Absolutely no one would know about this arrangement. You have my word."
"Do you have a stud already in mind?"
Adolphus smiled at Berndi, nodded, and extended his right hand, which Berndi cautiously accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment