Monday, May 5, 2008

Slow Sappy Song

I can be a sappy guy at times. I wasn't always like this though. There's just something about having a baby in your life for the first time that suddenly causes you to fall in love with the world in a way you couldn't have previously comprehended. Empathy suddenly becomes primary far surpassing all previous emotions combined. The transformation can be extraordinarily scary at times, but for the most part there is none more a beautiful, genuine and satisfying feeling possible.
My preface has purpose, though. I'm not just going soft and spewing the literary equivalent of a Carpenters song. To get to the point, we will now revisit a conversation the family and I were having in the car yesterday afternoon as we drove to a barbecue at Ryan, Jen, and Zachary's house (eye heart spring). We were talking about the the things that make families strong and concluded most importantly was it's ability to communicate with one another. Nadine asked Elijah if he knew that he could tell us anything, to which he said that he did...It's true, too; he does...I hope, even as the years progress, he always will, but in the meantime, I will make sure that I am always listening to hold up my end of the bargain. The whole conversation reminded me of how lucky I am to have such a great son and such a loving family.
Communication is the foundational strength of any relationship and not just of the familial variety. For example, when Zach starts to cry in the pack n play it is my role to figure out if he is either saying that; a) he is too tired to fall asleep at this moment but in the next five minutes will no longer have the energy to fight it, or b)that the odds of sleeping are similar to a snowball's chance of rolling through Death Valley in July. This morning he spoke the latter without any ambiguity in the delivery of the message. It appears Zach has turned into a one nap baby overnight and/or is too excited about exploring all the new crannies of the house to slow down for all the necessary pit stops. When he finally does run out of energy and crash, it is someplace odd such as his high chair at dinner last night. That's just another day in the life of the baby fast lane.
Slow and steady is not winning this race.





No comments:

Post a Comment