Thursday, February 7, 2008

We leave behind, today, the most generous pig of 2007 (by the way, it is said that to bear children in the year of the boar is considered to be very fortunate for they will be happy and honest) to become acquainted with the rat of hope in 2008. That's right, everyone, it's the Chinese New Year today as the festivities are well underway around the globe. My warmest regards to everyone who will be celebrating. Cheers.

Even here at Mr. Steve's daycare the excitement is palpable, though I must say, part of the hoopla stems from a new (to Zach) toy which has been brought out of retirement for the kids enjoyment. A relic from the days of Elijah babydom occupied a good portion of Zach's morning and, from his ecstasy, we all drew some smiles. He cooed away at the Playskool Kick-o-Matic 3000's catchy sing along songs as Amelia danced around it and clapped. However (there always needs to be a "however" in these stories it seems), once I switched the settings over to whirly gig mode (where these little wheels and flaps spin around) Zach's enthusiasm was significantly diminished. As I was helping Elijah look for some gloves in the hallway cabinet, I heard a howl from Zach which sounded as though the Kick-o-Matic had fallen over on him. I turned my head to find that the only thing different were these little wheels which now spun around. I suppose it doesn't help that the toy's spinner axle is a little squeaky and sounds like a rusty chainsaw. Zach, in short, absolutely despised the whirly gig mode. Quickly, Elijah flipped the switch back to song mode and we all sang a couple songs to calm things down. If we do attempt whirly gig mode in the future, I think it may be something we need to build up to. In the meantime, I should break out the WD40 as soon as Zach goes home.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! Zachary is sitting - great job of building his skills, Mr. Steve.
    Oh, and look at that CUTE smile!!!
    I love you, Mr. Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, Mr. Steve, Google translater did a decent job this time giving you the correct character for rat.
    I welcome the new year with jobs to do and the knowledge that my family and friends are merrily enjoy the festivity with lots of good food back home.
    Amelia is getting so big and so cute.

    ReplyDelete