Friday, April 3, 2009

Not a Song



"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams."
                                         - Arthur O'Shaughnessy


While working on music yesterday I was reminded of a very important lesson learned several times in the past; a lesson I have progressively failed to follow through with in its continued adherence, regardless of the heartache each incidence has caused. That lesson being: always back up your work and back it up often. 
I was in the process of adding several new instrument tracks to a composition I'm working on and, lo and behold, the precious life blood required of my dear friend, Mac, ceased to flow due to a power outage in the northeastern grid. 
My mind raced to remember when I last saved the progress. I couldn't remember doing it since I first opened my DAW and, therefore, could only assume it was the worst case scenario: absolutely everything I had been working all morning and afternoon was wiped clean. ***hits "save now" on blog***

I was, to put it lightly, a bit crestfallen by the day's course of events. I couldn't help but to think of all the work invested and how it all came to naught because of one careless oversight. Thoughts about how the arrangement would never be exactly like it was ever again no matter how I much time was poured into it were taking over. The happiness I was feeling only moments before in the satisfaction of a job well done, was now replaced with the sinking dread of lost creation. Things seemed hopeless.

Trying not to dwell on the loss, I began the laborious process of piecing together every drum, cymbal and melody, in my mind with the hopes that some of the more meaningful elements could be recovered. 

When the power returned, my fears were confirmed. Nothing was saved to file. It was as if the half day of work never existed. As I sat down to start rebuilding, it occurred to me, perhaps I was looking at this the wrong way. Maybe I should look at it as an opportunity to reinvent the song and make it even better than it was. After all, I was the one who wrote it in the first place, shouldn't that be sufficient to prove to myself that I have the ability to create a piece of music that I am happy with? Or at least happy enough to get a little bummed when the power goes out? 

So from my first lesson , I was able to derive another, and perhaps, even more valuable lesson: 
Abilities outweigh prior accomplishments.
Keep moving forward, people. Success is within us.
***save now***




Happy birthday, mi Amelia. March 31st.




1 comment:

  1. Good recovery of attitude. I think all of us who rely on the computer feel your pain! I can't tell you how many times that happened to me and I had to recreate from scratch. I think it happens too when you are so absorbed and excited about your work that you just forget to save. Florida can be especially bad because of the summer storms that sneak up and you lose power, sometimes for just seconds, but that can do it! I loved the picture of Amelia with the glasses/you must have been dying of laughter-she looks so serious. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete