Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sofun

I took home economics in high school. If anyone calls me a sissy because of it, I will personally knit a very warm wool sock, place a freshly baked delicious blueberry muffin inside, and bop them over the head with it. My reason for taking home ec as an elective, in actuality, was to avoid taking classes where I thought real work might interfere with my learning experience, but was unaware of two very important details at the time. One, is that it is real work, and, two, it would someday become my primary occupation. Now I'm just wishing I paid closer attention to that recipe for easy cobbler... I can't remember, was it one can of peaches or two?

One thing they failed to teach us in home ec class, though, is possibly the most important aspect of managing a household; which is, how to make proper couch forts. There is a formula which must be followed in order to truly maximize the funability of your couch. Failure to comply with said principles will result in an inferior couch fort experience and may lead to the myriad problems of chronic fun deficiency down the road. 

Do you know who used to suffer from fun deficiency? 

That's right. And you don't want to be like him, do you? 

No, I didn't think so. 

Perhaps the reason it could not be conveyed through a high school curriculum is because of its resemblance to an art form rather than that of an academic nature. The reason being, primarily, is that couches have a finite number of cushions upon them thus making fewer the obstacle types available. Fortunately for Amelia, Zachary and I, we have a sectional couch with ample materials for constructing structures of choice, and, hence, are limited only by our imagination. 

Today's impromptu playground consisted of a cushion slide leading down to a pillow splash pool. Zach was determined to walk down the slide and finally had a successful run at it, though each prior attempt ending in a roll down was pretty fun, too.  Amelia seemed to enjoy the climbing up part just as much, if not more so, than the tumbling down. Perhaps she sees the same benefit in the couch fort as me, which is getting some exercise on frosty December mornings without requiring GORE-TEX. 


 

2 comments:

  1. I love the Google ad that came up for me. Upholstery services. Very relevant to your post. So relevant that I was inspired to click on the ad. -- Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing that you let your little guys do this. I hope you weren't inferring that we deprived you by not letting you make sofa forts, by the way that word is much too close to another word and I hope you don't make too many sofa f_rts in the process! (You can see I'm Christmas stressed can't you). Love you and loved the blog, as always.

    ReplyDelete