Friday, January 30, 2009

Will it stop?

Amelia and I walked down the stairs this morning with her usual load of fifteen stuffed animals and her essential blanket to get some breakfast while seeing Elijah off to school. It was a morning like any other morning of the week except for one small detail. Zach was not in his high chair eating his waffle, banana and yogurt breakfast greeting Amelia as she sat in her booster seat.
"Where's Zach?" She asked motioning toward the empty station.
"He's at orientation for his new school." I replied.
As I stirred some oatmeal into some yogurt for Amelia something occurred to me; just how quiet it was then, and would be from now on. Now by no means am I saying that Zach is a loudmouth, because I think decibel for decibel, Amelia might by able to beat him in a screaming contest by three, but rather that they engage in perpetual conversation with one another in their own language during the times I am preparing breakfast or lunch. It's very amusing to listen to both of them giving instructions to each other on how to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the day to day lessons given by their respective parents, all the while without using any actual words. As a family, we were able to enjoy this exchange every morning for the last year.
It makes me sad to think that we will be losing their daily banter after today. While, sure, I chat with both of them individually all the time I can never seem to get that free flowing, experimental ramble they evoke from each other. Honestly, I think their words sound more fun than talking about shapes, colors and the letter "A", anyway, so from here on out, I will be speaking only Zach and Amelia's language, aka Zamelish, so as to lesson the impact of Zach's departure on Amelia. Enjoy.

Baabaabaabaa. B'danke bwowket.. Ish..ish..foood. nah, nah, nah. ogut. toklat. mamee wock. I'shah buh pop. Bap pap, dacket, itten. Poppy, elmo, poppy, neh'ee, b'danket. Nigh nigh.

That's right. Nigh, nigh, everybody.








1 comment:

  1. awwww....I didn't even know!!!
    I'll still have to keep up with the other kiddos though! Your sense of humor always brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete