Friday, February 27, 2009

Caution: Splash Zone

They say age is a necessity of wisdom but the opposite is not necessarily so.
My thirty-fifth birthday passed in recent history theoretically qualifying me for some totally kick butt knowledge of this mysterious world we occasionally dance upon. I'm just sitting here waiting for it to beam into my head like the automatic downloads of software updates my Macintosh computer requests on a bi-daily basis. So, yeah...anytime now. No? Well, I guess I'm going to have to earn it like everything else in the equitable stasis of human existence. Darn it, too. I was really hoping for a free handout, what with my birthday and all. Well, in the meantime, In the place of something incredibly deep and insightful, you will get this instead. Enjoy.

I'm not sure how many times you can read the same 12 page/12 word book in a row before your head bursts like a Gallagher watermelon, but I may be nearing the qualifying mark. Amelia's favorite (octo-daily) book these days is Duck and Goose's Book of Opposites, mainly because she likes to point out that the goose on page 5 is "sad" whilst herself making a frowny face and speaking with exaggeratedly empathetic overtones. The funny thing is though, even if I knew I had only one more reading in me before the folks in the front row would need raincoats and a tarp, I would still agree to read it five times beyond that. Yeah, it's really that cute.

Elijah has become quite the reading machine, too, and has completed almost all 40 thousand books of the Magic Tree House series. I can't tell you how much joy it brings to me to see him so involved in expanding his mind and doing it with reading material of a more practical application than that of pocket monsters waging in endless/pointless battle. It seems authors in our day and age have become quite clever in disguising education as entertainment to the pleasure of both parent and child. I mean, here is Elijah, voluntarily reading about world history without me having to do a single leg take-down with a half nelson in order to encourage the action. Thanks, Mary Pope Osborne: Let me buy you a watermelon.


1 comment:

  1. And of course, as I said, people will be very confused since you only had the "33" digit candles on your cake, but then who is really counting? Age should be an unlisted number!
    Loved the blog and video clip-thanks for again making my day! Love, Grammie in Florida, where after all the company has left, is finally warming up!

    ReplyDelete